No subject

Mon Jan 5 11:51:51 MST 2009

file, whether or not its part of the standard SWORD entries.  If you
want them to point you to a file that maps out differences between
their version and any other version, you could have them put that
entry in the config file, and then read it into your own front end.

The question of course, exists as to why you wouldn't make a patch for
the library itself to expose the functionality and conversion to
everyone else's front ends - which is something I think most people
would advocate for.  That seem the most simplistic and straightforward
method of doing it to me - though not necessarily the best.  Then,
perhaps, include a flag in the config file that indicates something
like "Versification=KJV" or "Versification=Luther" or have some
standards that are built-in to the library for a module which adheres
to a "standard."  Then you could have "Versification=Custom" along
with "VersificationSpec=modules/text/ztext/myversion/myspec.conf" and
that conf file could specify that it maps differences between the
module and, say, the Vulgate (or LXX or whatever other one of the
built-in versions the module creator chooses).  They could include
omissions, duplications, divisions, combinations, etc.  That leaves
the module creator free to use any versification they want, and free
to specify how it deviates from the nearest "standard" if they wish,
for maximum interoperability with other SWORD content.  This also
means that backward compatibility is maintained (a big issue, it would
seem, for SWORD modules, for some reason incomprehensible to me) with
modules, by not adding anything to the actual module format itself,
but exposes the issue of mapping between different modules and
versions and versifications.

Anyone have a better suggestion for how it could be handled?

--Greg