[sword-devel] OSIS editor

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:52:48 MST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Adrian Korten <adrian_korten at sil.org> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm advising a team of Thai people who would like to prepare a Bible and
> book for import to Sword. They currently have both texts in Word with
> in-line mark-up (no styles). I assume that they would need to save as raw
> text and then start adding the markup. Could someone advise on a good editor
> for this? Or a strategy for doing this? The people are not computer
> programmers or power users.

I am currently doing something similar but with Indonesian language instead.

First time I am using BibleEdit and using USFM for the format, but
change to OSIS and using  xml editor (Netbeans programmer editor, but
able to edit xml file), because I do not know how to tag strong and
morph using USFM.

The strategy I use for OSIS xml
- create shell script that automatically make sword module, so the
output can be easily viewed in any sword capable program (eg: alkitab,
BD, BT, xiphos, etc)
- typing the content straight away in OSIS xml
- every now and then, execute the shell script above and see how it
look like on the sword capable program, for checking paragraph,
punctuation, spelling, etc. It is rather hard to notice all those in
plain osis xml file.

note: I also get help from computer illiterate person for the
translation. In the first, she quite confused with all those osis xml
tagging, but after a while she get quite comfortable and able to type
direct in osis xml. She is very computer illiterate (only use computer
for browsing, word processing/spreadsheet, email only)

So I think depending on the features you are planning to add to your
next. For plain translation, I think BibleEdit does a very good job
and help a lot (GUI is friendlier than xml editor). But if you want to
add more features eg: strongs/morph, and those features are not in
usfm format or there is no conversion tool, etc, You might be better
to use direct editing eg: OSIS plain xml. It is not as scary as you
might think :) Just learn for few days/weeks then OSIS xml is not
scary anymore.

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--