[sword-devel] Reality check (was: Getting rid of BibleCS (was Re: [bt-devel] Eureka!!))

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:17:33 MST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>> This is now the time to consider again removing the unsupported "Sword
>> for Windows", which is condemned by many and misleads many about the
>> potential of the Sword platform because it appears to be the official
>> (and thus the "best") one to casual onlookers.
>
> I think this is an odd demand. BibleCS is not my choice application. But
> it supports all current modules. It has a massive user base. Why exactly
> should it get removed? It is in terms of features equalled/bettered by
> Xiphos and now seemingly BT, its looks are not what I (and many others)
> like - all this is true. But it is clearly not deprecated right now.

It is clearly not supported (as far as we can tell by emails to sword-devel).

> As long as it supports all currently released modules and as long as
> there are no modules held back by lack of BibleCS development I can not
> see how we can even think of removing it. Its use (or lack of use) is a
> matter of choice, personal preference or taste, but not one of technical
> merit or lack of it - at least right now.

However, it is being presented as the official Sword project frontend.
 Whatever you think about it as a program, is it the "official best
program"?

> To compare it with LCDBible makes little sense.

I didn't compare it with LCDBible, just said "move it as far down as
LCDBible".  If you look at the list of Windows applications above
LCDBible you will see which applications I am actually comparing it
with.

Jon