[sword-devel] Getting rid of BibleCS

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Thu Feb 26 10:23:10 MST 2009

Am 26.02.2009 um 17:01 schrieb Mark Trompell:

> Am Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:43:25 +0000
> schrieb Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de>:
>
>> I think even though many people have Macs nowadays, very few do
>> development on it. And then there is Objective-C and Interface
>> Builder which are languages tools only available to Mac. That makes
>> it more difficult for people coming to the Mac platform and wanting
>> to contribute.
>
> Okay, it only has a small userbase, but there is Gnustep, which is
> pretty similiar. I think it's possible to writeprograms that build on
> OSX and Gnustep. Not sure if there are christians out there
> using it though.

That's right, there is Gnustep.
I've looked into this when I thought maybe the MacSword 1.x branch
might be possible to be ported to Gnustep since it still has
compatibility to Mac OSX 10.3.
But I found out relatively fast that Gnustep is way behind Cocoa.
There is still no WebKit which is there for Cocoa since Mac OSX 10.2
and also no SearchKit which we are using (and many, many more things).
In my opinion Gnustep can be used for none GUI programs and simple GUI
applications. But if you have something more sophisticated in mind
then you just can nothing else but forget it.

Regards,
Manfred