[sword-devel] Frontend UI support for non-Latin numerals?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 23 08:15:47 MST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> writes:
>> Is this covered in the Xiphos manual?
>
> No.  It's very special case, Farsi only, not meaningful to anyone not
> using LC_ALL=fa.  Besides, I keep being told that nobody reads
> manuals,
> and had that demonstrated to me again this past weekend.
>
> Generalization to other LC_ALL=XX would take an hour or so, and would
> require that I know where the per-language base point of zero is.
> E.g.,
> in Farsi, it's "\333\260".

Actually, you need to know the number 9. Some numbering systems don't
have a zero. I don't have a clue as to which, but I found this nugget
in the icu code as I was seeing how they do number shaping.

> A significant limitation is that while "non-Latinate" digits display
> correctly in text verse numbers and in the navbars, the main navbar
> editable display of the current verse still displays regular digits,
> at
> least until the engine gains parsing capability for all those other
> locales.  That is, this is an output/viewer capability, not an input
> capability.

What we do for BD is to "shape" the number in both directions. That is
when we display the number and also when we take the displayed input
value and use it.

This allows for inputs to be both Farsi/Arabic and also 0-9.

In Him,
	DM