[sword-devel] ICU transliteration resources

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:44:57 MST 2009

Matthew and Chris,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. It is much as I suspicioned. I do have Visual
>> Studio, and I was able to easily compile ICU with that, however it did
>> not give me an icudt that I could see. Perhaps I'd better look again.
>> Of considerable concern to me is whether I will be able to link
>> against that with gcc/g++ so I would rather use what I have currently.
>> I will try uconv and see what I get there.
>
> icudt.lib is in the lib directory (of the ICU source root). It's really just
> a big placeholder lib file, since the ICU DLL is just a resource bundle and
> doesn't define any actual functions. So if there is any way to convert from
> VS libs to gcc's format, there's a good chance it will work in this case.

Here's a link where various people give their anecdotal experiences
with these tasks:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=430569

And here is the link at the very end of the above thread which seems
like it has much of the information you'll need to avoid having to get
both systems to compile on the same build system:
http://wyw.dcweb.cn/dllfaq.htm

Good luck!

--Greg