[sword-devel] remove buildtest

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Wed Feb 18 11:16:20 MST 2009

Hi Greg.

Am 18.02.2009 um 17:33 schrieb Greg Hellings:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Manfred Bergmann
> <bergmannmd at web.de> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is it possible to remove the buildtest from the build process of the
>> library?
>
> I thought there was a configure-time switch, but I could be mistaken
> on that.

I build with --disable-utilities, tests are disabled by default but
that doesn't seem to apply for buildtest.

>> The ICU support on MacOSX is only partial and there is no licuio
>> library
>> which is needed for buildtest but not for the library.
>
> From Macports I have a /opt/local/lib/libicuio.dylib as well as a
> .40.dylib and .40.0.dylib.  For many of the SWORD library dependencies
> I have found Macports invaluable as a way to maintain and update them
> freely.
>
>> This breaks my build script so that I now have to put things together
>> manually in order to create a ppc/intel cross-compile binary.
>
> I'm fairly certain that the macports.conf file has a way to specify
> that you want to build fat binaries.  According to their website, just
> enabling the +universal flag in their variants.conf file should allow
> those libraries that support it to build in universal i386/ppc fat
> binaries.

The problem is that I don't like MacPorts and I won't install a second
package management system next to Fink.
Fink only installs the headers for the Apple supplied ICU (3.6) so
you'll be able to use it for compile.

Using a MacPorts version would create a dependency in that someone
needs to install the MacPorts libicu.
Static linking is not so easy, if possible at all on Darwin.

Regards,
Manfred