[sword-devel] SwordReader Module Installer

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 7 22:25:27 MST 2009

SonWon wrote:
> Please give David and I your opinion.
>
> We are discussing the module installer for SwordReader.
>
> Should it be windows based only?
> Leaves the MAC and Linux users out in the cold.

Don't PocketPCs still "require" Windows for ActiveSync purposes? Are
there any precedents for content installers for Mac/Linux?

I have a feeling the percentage of Windows Mobile users who don't use
Windows PCs is extremely low--much lower than the percentages of Palm,
iPhone, or Android users using non-Windows OSes on the desktop. So I
suspect that if an installer for Mac or Linux requires any additional
effort, it's probably not the best use of time resources.

> Or PDA based only?
> Makes it harder for some people to install since they may not know they
> have Internet access while synced with the PC.

An installer on the system is nice. From playing with the iPhone front
end, I can say I would much prefer doing installs directly on the device
to doing them on a PC and syncing.

I think people are going to need instructions, regardless of how the
installer works, so I wouldn't worry about their not yet knowing about
the network connection during sync.

--Chris