[sword-devel] FreCrampon module: versification problem for Malachi 4

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Feb 3 11:45:23 MST 2009

Any versification that is fundamentally different from what I used to
produce the existing FreCrampon module is an incorrect versification.
That is not to discount the possibility of minor errors in versification
in my own edition, but my module's versification is fundamentally
correct and any attempt to push this text into a KJV versification is
incorrect.

We want to represent the actual text, as one would find it in a printed
edition, as well as possible, given various technical limitations. I can
understand the desire to perform lookup based on another versification
and get the expected parallel passage (e.g. lookup a verse in KJV:Mal.4
and get a verse in Mal.3 of FreCrampon). Plenty of software does that.
But re-versifying the base text from its native versification to a
foreign one is not reasonable/not acceptable/not an option. We don't do
that and never will.

(NB: We have texts that have been re-versified in this undesirable
fashion, but the change to a source without this kind of versification
mangling is considered a valuable upgrade in quality.)

--Chris