[sword-devel] Open Office Bible Text Inserter extension

Andrew Drapper andrew at drapper.com
Thu Dec 31 11:53:04 MST 2009

Hi,

Peter von Kaehne has invited me to join this mailing list and to introduce
myself.

Some years ago  moved from MS word to Open Office Writer as my main
word processor. As I was on Windows I could use a small programme called
ZipScript to insert Bible texts almost anywhere, but especially in word
processor documents.

I have no moved over to using Ubuntu so still with Open Office but Zip
Script is not an option now. not even in wine.

So the time has come to bite the built as it where and face that fact the
open office needs a new extension, or Linux a universal Bible
text inserter.

I have no programming experience except in HTML PHP and Jave Scritp for web
work so do not know where to start, but I want to write or preferably work
with a team to write an open office extension to insert Bible text into open
office documents. writer and impress probably are the only ones that needed
it.

I believe it would be a great service to preachers, teachers and to
Christian authors to be able to type a Bible reference e.g. Gen 1:1-3 and
then press a short key say [Alt] + [B] and the reference will be expanded to
the full text something like this:

"1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2. And the earth
was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And
the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3. And God said, Let
there be light: and there was light." Genesis 1:1-3 (KJV)

There are some refinements that could be made, life chose of Bible, where
the reference goes are verse numbers to be included etc, but that gives you
the idea. Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

Andrew Drapper

www.Bible-Matters.com