[sword-devel] configure.ac defaults

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Dec 7 04:43:02 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
> It would of course be a good
> practice for any project to use -Werror for all occasions if possible.

Early last year as we were getting Xiphos back into the Fedora repos,
their package review folks raised questions that led us to introduce
-Wall -Werror.  The result was a rush of editing that eliminated around
150 questionable code uses and at least 4 definite bugs.

The problem is that we can't use -Wall -Werror anywhere but rather
recent Fedora because certain system headers, especially
mozembed/xulrunner, are broken on older Fedora and any Ubuntu system.

-Wextra was also recommended to me...but I can't use it (productively)
anywhere.  Far too many system headers are far too broken, on any and
all systems.