[sword-devel] Proposition concerning module names

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 1 20:06:13 MST 2009

Nic,

Regarding names, there are two things that can be called the module's "name".
1) The text between the [initials] on the first line.
2) Description=title -- the actual name of the work.

While there is no current support in SWORD, we have agreed that any field can be suffixed with a language code as in Description_fa.
We have also agreed that a field without a language code should be the localized, native language, otherwise English.
And when it is the localized field then there should be a *_en field.

A few module have this.

In the same thread (December 16, 2008), Chris proposed another new field Abbr that would hold the localized very short name of the module, much like the [name], but it would not have the alphanum restrictions.

We didn't discuss dialects, but it would be represented by the two letter uppercase country code. Not sure whether it would be prefixed by a - or a _ (e.g. en-GB or en_GB).

Again, there is no support in SWORD for anything but the fields that don't have a language code. And no support for Abbr.

In Him,
	DM