[sword-devel] FFe application for sword being considered, and patches split out

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 31 14:37:13 MST 2009

DM Smith wrote:

> For a fix that doesn't break backward compatibility. How about
> getting the stopword list from the analyzer and checking the query
> for those words. If any are found then gracefully fail the query, or
> merely delete them and potentially create a bad query, or ...

That prevents the segfault, but still does not get us working searches
for "God is" and similar short phrases, which users rightly expect to
function, but which are currently broken.  Do you really want to add a
FAQ entry "Why do searches for "God is" fail?" and provide an answer
that users will be happy with? :)

Reading, storing and searching the stopword list is also *way* more
code, and so a more intrusive patch for me to consider adding to the
packages, than either using a NULL stopword list, or changing to using
SimpleAnalyzer :)

Overall it seems far cleaner to me to actually index all words.

Jonathan