[sword-devel] indexed search discrepancy (stopwords)

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:32:34 MST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Jonathan Marsden<jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>
>> Two things: if we don't include them in the index, but only prevent
>> searching for them, then it wouldn't break compatibility.
>
> Well, I think searching for "God is" would then presumably return all
> hits on "God", which would be in some ways about as incorrect as the
> earlier result of no hits at all :)

Just to clarify: the only thing that causes a segfault is searching
for a stopword *only*. So searching for "God is" will currently return
every result for God, whether or not the verse includes "is". IMO, and
obviously shared by some here, returning hits for only "God" when
searching for "God is" is incorrect and is more likely to cause
confusion than changing to include these words in the index. (someone
is more likely to say, "wow this program is finally searching
correctly", than "I used to search for 'God is' but now it actually
does it; can I have the old broken behavior back?" *

Matthew

* 'old broken behavior' is used for dramatic effect; it is not an
insult nor a criticism of the current indexing.