[sword-devel] Bible-Discovery - non-free program using SWORD modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Aug 27 21:04:01 MST 2009

jonathon wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 20:27, Chris Little wrote:
>
>> say for the content we produced that inexplicably (without permission, notice, or credit given) has found its way into e-Sword.
>
> What resources are you claiming migrated to e-Sword, from _The Sword
> Project_ without the appropriate credit?
>
> jonathon

Hi Jonathan,

I'm surprised you feel welcome posting here or that you have the
chutzpah to post in this thread, as it quite directly brings up some
libelous accusations you made on 5/10/2009 on an e-Sword Yahoo! group,
to wit:

(Discussing the recent change of e-Sword's database format:)
"He doesn't want to have to pay royalties on behalf of _The Sword
Project_, and other Bible Study Software programmers that have decided
that e-Sword resources are ideal for utilizing in their software, and
incorporated that functionality into their program, without even asking
Rick."

I am still waiting for your public apology in that Yahoo! group and for
you to correct those false statements. Likewise, I'm sure some of the
others who posted (or tried to post in spite of moderation) in response
to your false statements await that apology.

Now, to your question, there are a number of e-Sword modules which have
come from The SWORD Project, but none more completely obviously than the
Robinson morphology codes module. It is distributed with permission to
redistribute, but with an explicit request that the notice about its
creation (crediting the CrossWire Bible Society) be included with all
redistributed copies. All copies of the Robinson database derive from
CrossWire's module. I know this because I created it out of whole cloth
(plus a dash of Perl).

Hmm, what do you think Jonathan, should we change our module format
because of "[e-Sword], and other Bible Study Software programmers that
have decided that [Sword] resources are ideal for utilizing in their
software, and incorporated that functionality into their program,
without even asking [us]" or giving credit to those on whose shoulders
they stand?

--Chris