[sword-devel] Bibledit Sword module generation?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Aug 24 00:55:36 MST 2009

Chris Little wrote:
> Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Kahunapule Michael
>> Johnson<Kahunapule_Johnson at sil.org> wrote:
>>> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any hope of getting Bibledit's Sword module generator working
>>> with Sword well enough that it actually works in the near future?
>>>

>>> Are you trying to generate a module within Bibledit or using the
>>> usfm2osis.pl script, then osis2mod? I believe everyone is assuming
>>> you're aware of the latter method, which is the only way this works,
>>> afaik, but perhaps you're not?
>>>

>>> I was trying to generate a module within Bibledit. I have a usfm2osis.pl
>>> script, but it may not be the same one you are speaking of. It does not
>>> convert all necessary USFM markup, and drops sections of Scripture. I
>>> consider that to be a bad thing. More later...
>>
>> I understand you are more interested in the Bibledit route.  If it
>> works, that is good.  However, if it doesn't then the definitive Wiki
>> page on USFM is
>> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Converting_SFM_Bibles_to_OSIS.  It
>> recommends using SFMToOSIS, and from memory I've got better results
>> from it than from usfm2osis.
>>
>> Jon
>
> The Wiki doesn't exactly recommend one tool or the other, but I'll
> adjust it to make it more clear that usfm2osis.pl is recommended.

Nope, I was wrong... we did explicitly recommend SFMToOSIS.

But that was written at a time when I didn't want to maintain
usfm2osis.pl, no one else was helping to maintain it, and it appeared to
me that SFMToOSIS was being actively maintained. I would say those
variables have all changed since then--hence my changed opinion from
when this recommendation was originally written.

--Chris