[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 08:00:12 MST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson
<kahunapule at mpj.cx> wrote:
> Chris Little wrote:
>> We post Windows binaries because most Windows users don't have a
>> compiler. We don't post Linux binaries because most Linux users _do_
>> have a compiler (or could get one quickly and easily). I don't
>> actually know whether Macs come with I compiler or not.
>
> The vast majority of Mac users would not even consider compiling a
> program. A compiler comes with the OS disk, but it is not installed by
> default. Require compilation to use a program, and it just won't get
> used much, except by a very small number of programmers. Even those
> would probably rather have a binary properly packaged.

This might be a perfect example of where a GUI for the tools would be
ideal.  Mac users like everything to be right in front of their face
and a simple 1 or 2 step drag-n-drop process.  If a little app bundle
could be put together with just a minimal front-end that allows users
to drop in a module file, click one or two options, and have the
program call the utilities (which are included in the app bundle), I
think that would be the most natural method for a Mac user to create a
module.

--Greg