[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 6 19:57:24 MST 2009

Matthew Talbert wrote:
>> It's because people don't step up and write the documentation.  I'd love to include the man pages from Jonathan Marsden in SVN.  Thanks Jonathan, for stepping up and trying to solve this area where we're lacking.
>
> Troy,
>
> I wasn't trying to instigate a fight (nor have I ever). I was merely
> going off what I have read in the archives, including this:
> http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-July/019083.html

Did you even bother to read the rest of the thread?

This is a 6 year old thread, and matters have changed somewhat since
then as it has become a bit easier to create valid XML content that we
can use. The crux of my position at that time was roughly the same as it
is today--essentially, we can't support people who want a Word to Sword
importer.

If you can create OSIS docs or TEI docs or even ThML docs, we have tools
for you. Work to make those tools easier to use would obviously be welcome.

If someone want to do a really great OSIS editor or a plugin for some
other XML editor, that would also be fantastic.

Given the amount of time I've personally dedicated to assisting
individuals with their markup and to writing tools so that markup in
other formats can be converted to XML, your attitude is really just
rude, ignorant, and ingracious. And I'll agree with Troy's sentiment in
stating that you in particular and those with attitudes like you make me
not want to work on Sword. Your ability to twist the words of others to
malign is... breath-taking. Is breath-taking the right word? Yes,
breath-taking.

--Chris