[sword-devel] New OSIS chapter/verse checking utility

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 09:33:53 MST 2008

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 30, 2008, at 11:10, "David Fredin" <xduffy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> While I can not say much about the further OSIS conversion steps, I
>> think you want to be cautious and very careful how you approach the
>> Swedish Bible society. It is easy to upset people over copyrights
>> and it takes years to recover from that.
> Thanks for the warning, I will try to get them interested by showing
> how the software works. I happen to live in the same city as the HQ
> for the Swedish Bible society.
>
>> Dealing with similar situations I found most helpful having a ready
>> text available, but also - and sometimes more improtantly having a
>> translated front-end(s). Also have a look at GoBible (for J2MEE
>> Mobile phones) - once you got your OSIS source ready this is an
>> easy thing too and often gets people quite excited.
> That sounds really good too. Though I would really like to show it off
> on my iPhone, but there are no sword clients there yet?

No native iPhone client yet due to Apple's software restrictions. They
still haven't given me a final answer on whether or not they will
allow open-sourced applications or not. I had worked up most of an
iPhone web client which I could send your way and you could host on
any Java-enabled server of your choice for the demo.

Also, getting them to release in CCL might not be the most corporate-
friendly suggestion. As the copyright holders they can give special
permission to distribute in OSIS or SWORD format if they choose
without giving up their copyright in a CCL move.

Greg