[sword-devel] New OSIS chapter/verse checking utility

David Fredin xduffy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 06:41:27 MST 2008

Interested in sharing the source for that conversion of html-bibles?

I am working on a conversion of the Swedish Bible 2000 (not a version
number but the year it was released :-) ). And so far I have
downloaded every chapter of the Bible as separate html-files, imported
them into a sqlite-db with minimal html-markup (done with python + the
BeautifulSoup-parser). So I suppose the last step to OSIS shouldn't be
too hard. But any hints or pieces of advice is very welcome.

The hardest part I suppose is to then talk the Swedish biblecommission
into releasing it into the wild under an Creative Commons license, or
such...

All the best!
// David Fredin

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 22:13, Steven J. DeRose <sderose at acm.org> wrote:
> Great info, thanks David! I have code in there to cover the Psalm
> ascriptions, but I'll check vs. the sources you mention to be sure
> I've got them all covered. The Slavonic book order difference is new
> to me -- many thanks for pointing it out, I'll add an option for that.
>
> Side note -- i'm presently hacking at some code to convert a bunch of
> online bibles to very regular OSIS files, which I'll then put online
> somewhere (Troy, might you want to host them?). Anybody up for
> helping with that or taking a look at results as I produce them? (I
> wrote osisCheck mostly to ensure that my converters don't screw
> anything up....).
>
>>Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk>
>>Subject: Re: [sword-devel] New OSIS chapter/verse checking utility
>>To: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>>
>>Take account that the Psalms are numbered differently in various canons. See
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalms#Numbering
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalms#Numbering
>>
>>And also that versification of the Psalms that have canonical ascriptions
>>(such as "A Psalm of Asaph") can also differ. e.g. Most French Bibles assign
>>verse 1 to these, and offset the rest by +1.  This observation is not
>>included in the above Wikipedia page.
>>
>>The book order in the New Testament is not the same in Slavonic Bibles as it
>>is in the Western canon. The General Epistles are all between Acts and
>>Romans. A useful link is  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible
>>

>>Best regards,
>>David Haslam