[sword-devel] osis2mod linking bug

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 07:57:37 MST 2008

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Right, it seems like we might need a bool SWModule::isLinked(const SWKey
> &) which tells you if the current location is linked to the provided
> location.  Something which compares 'inodes' in versetext and @link
> values in others, etc...
>
> That's doable from the engine point of view, but I'm not sure will solve
> your problem.

I think the above would be a good addition, but your guess is right: it
will not solve my problem.

Given how I am going about it now, a performance enhancer would be a method:
/**
 * Returns true if the current key has content.
 */
bool SWModule::hasContent()
That would check to see if the "inode" pointed to anything.

Does such a thing exist?

Unrelated:
I tried the following:
key = module++;
and I got surprising results. It did the post increment before the
assignment! Semantically, this is wrong!
Looking into it the post-increment operator is not defined and because
of that the pre-increment operator is used.
Here is a post increment operator:
SWKey& operator ++(int /*unused*/) { SWKey temp = *this; increment(1);
return temp; }
Likewise for post decrement:
SWKey& operator --(int /*unused*/) { SWKey temp = *this; decrement(1);
return temp; }
IIRC, post-increment was added to C++ 2.0.

I also tried the following in going through a ListKey:
list.increment();
But I got a compile error. Seems that the signature for ListKey did not
repeat the step = 1 from the base class.
Base class signature:
swkey.h:    virtual void increment(int steps = 1);
Derived classes with this problem:
listkey.h:    virtual void increment(int step);
rawcom4.h:    virtual void increment(int steps);
rawcom.h:    virtual void increment(int steps);
versekey.h:    virtual void increment(int steps);
My guess is that decrement has a similar problem.

> Like you mention, you're looking for a way to get the entire set of
> entries that link to a data slot.  Something like:
>
> find / -samefile xyz -print
>
> I guess you could use the newly proposed method above to iterate all
> entries and check if any are the 'samefile' as one you are interested
> in.  But like the filesystem, we don't store a set of all directory
> entries that happen to point to the same inode.  And if you're looking
> for backward compatability, we can't change the format (not that I would
> want to change the format for this anyway).

I'm not looking for a format change. However, there is a way to provide
both a format change and backward compatibility: Additional files.
Separate files would only be seen by new code.
> With the the logic osis2mod is using (for any verses outside of KJV,
> read text from closest previous valid KJV entry, append new verse text
> and rewrite the entry) it sounds these exception KJV-reversifications
> should probably do the ugly: `find / -samefile xyz -print` logic to
> check if the entry they are about to rewrite is linked to by anyone
> else.  It sucks, but it is all I can think of that would solve this
> problem.  And pragmatically, you probably only have to: do { module--; }
> while (!module.Error() && module.getRawEntryBuf() ==
> aboutToBeRewrittenEntryBuf);

Works for me, with a slight variation. I'm caching the osisIDs that
refer to more than one verse and doing the linking at the end. As each
<verse> is seen, the content is written to the first (or only) value in
the osisID,e.g. osisID="Gen.1.29 Gen.1.30 Gen.1.31" would store the
content at Gen.1.29 and leave linking Gen.1.30 and Gen.1.31 to the end.

This will allow me to look for last verse in a chapter with content. So
if <verse osisID="Gen.1.32"> is seen it's content is appended to the
last verse in Genesis 1 having content, which is Gen.1.29.

I think it is a fair assumption for osis2mod input that a chapter will
be defined with verses in numerical order.