[sword-devel] iPhone NDA dropped

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 04:13:39 MST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Nathan Youngman wrote:

> Chris,
>
> So what you're saying is the entire work would need to be distributed
> with GPL (2 or 3).

No, not GPLv3, as that is incompatible with v2. The only way that
would be true is if we relicensed our code to have the v2 or later
clause. We've discussed that on the list already and I won't rehash it
here, except to say we have decided against it.

> Though it could link in, say an MIT licensed Regex library.

Right.

> Whether a front-end is derived or merely attached is debatable... but
> I don't feel like debating.
>
> Though not entirely relevant to Sword, the thing I find the most
> distasteful is when various open source licenses don't get along. In
> that way, I prefer the simple non-copyleft licenses, not so much
> because they allow proprietary use, but because people don't end up
> rewriting one open source thing, just to combine it with another open
> source thing of a differing license.

When it comes to SWORD, I found that CrossWire has a policy that the
linked libraries are not GPL. This allows for CrossWire to create
derivative works for others, like Bible institutes and societies,
under different licensing than the GPL.