[sword-devel] iPhone NDA dropped

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 21:51:43 MST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>> As I understood it, the real barrier was the NDA for *released* code,
>> and that's the portion which was dropped.  Thus, unless you're
>> registered in the for-pay ordeal, you probably won't be seeing the new
>> licensing in your e-mail.  At least, that's how I interpreted it.  I
>> likewise have not received that e-mail, and I've attributed it to not
>> yet having signed up for the actual distributor's license (which I was
>> planning to avoid doing until the application was at least passable in
>> the simulator).
>
> "Released code" refers to released versions of Apple's iPhone SDK. For
> the moment, that means iPhone SDK versions 2.0 & 2.1.
>
> Non-released code includes beta SDK releases (presently 2.2).
>
> Whether or not your app is in the app store shouldn't affect the SDK's
> license terms.

According to the Linux.com article
(http://www.linux.com/feature/131752) that initially brought up the
problems with the NDA, it appears that it is the terms of the
Registered iPhone Developer Agreement - which sounds like the
agreement that is given only to people who sign up and pay the fee to
have their applications published by Apple.

It may be that the SDK's license also has the same restrictions, but
without the Registered iPhone Developer Agreement, using the SDK is
rather pointless, since you can't get your application onto any
device.  To quote the article:

"If your application [for permission to publish applications] is
approved, a document called the Registered iPhone Developer Agreement
lays out the terms and conditions under which you can create iPhone
apps. It is those conditions that conflict with free software licenses
like the GPL."

I've not heard people talk about whether you're allowed to publish
proof-of-concept code straight out of the SDK, but the article is
dealing with actual code for published applications.

--Greg