[sword-devel] sword library versioning and naming convention question (for packaging)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:51:55 MST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Jason Galyon <jtgalyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am updating the Ubuntu sword package from 1.5.9 to the current 1.5.11.
>
> However, I noticed that libsword used to be libsword.so.6 whereas now it
> is libsword-1.5.11.so
>
> This does not 'play' nicely with the shlibs versioning and dependency
> system for most linux systems that I am aware of.  I have chatted
> (shortly so far) with some Ubuntu packagers to help me and they had no
> ideas.  I checked around in my lib directories and even with ones with
> numbers before the .so, had version numbers on the end.
>
> Would it be possible next release to have something like
> libsword-1.5.so.11 or similar?

That versioning scheme assumes that the 1.5 releases are backward
compatible and binary replaceable, if I remember correctly.  However,
the line of 1.5.x releases are major releases, not minor releases, and
can include API breaking changes from time to time, so (for example),
you almost certainly couldn't use an application built against
libsword-1.5.8 with libsword-1.5.11 without rebuilding and probably
changing it.

Jon