[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:38:56 MST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>wrote:

> "Greg Hellings" <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> > Package Manager does not list xrender.pc as part of the xorg-headers
> > package, nevertheless, after installing that package, I had the
> xrender.pc
> > file.  What version were you trying?  I have 0.5.11-0.98.  I presume the
> > 0.5.11 means that this is SunOS 5.11, but I have no idea what 0.98 is
> > supposed to indicate.  I second your feelings about this package manager
> > system.
>
> I want to know where you got -0.98 because what the package manager
> offered to me was -0.86.  I have done nothing to alter what package
> repository is in use; the upper-right combobox claims only that it is
> "opensolaris.org" and it offers no mechanism I can find to change that.

My guess is that the update to -0.98 came with the image-upgrade that I ran
from the command-line, or from syncing against the repository.  I'm not
completely certain about that, but I also have everything else just the way
you describe yours.  They're the only things I can think of.  The Package
Manager spent around 16 hours thinking about upgrading the system, so I
closed it, went to the command line, and used the pkg command to do the
system upgrade.  After that, the Package Manager has been fine.

> It is a certainty that [a] I have SUNWxorg-headers installed and [b] I
> do not have xrender.pc, therefore I still cannot configure GS.
>
> How do you know for certain that xrender.pc comes from that package?  In
> an RPM world, I would "rpm -qf /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xrender.pc" to query
> the filename for the package in which it arrived.  How does one do that
> in Solaris?

I'm not completely certain - when you look in Package Manager, you can see a
list of files that come with a package.  Alternatively, the various pkg
command-line tools might give you similar information that you're looking
for.  xrender.pc was not listed in xorg-headers, but xrandr was, so I
thought maybe it was a misspelling, installed xorg-headers, and now I have
both xrandr.pc and xrender.pc installed.  It was the only difference.  I
even installed GNU findutils so that I could be sure there was no xrender.pc
installed before installing xorg-headers.  So my only guess is that either
the information in Package Manager is wrong, or some hidden dependency
pulled it in.

--Greg