[sword-devel] Arabic vowel filter

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Nov 30 07:11:59 MST 2008

Dear all,

Attached is a patch to libsword to include an arabic vowel filter.

Essentially this is a monkey patch - I aped everything relating to the
hebrewpoints filter without by necessity understanding it all. After all
I have little or no clue of programming.

The filter itself - yes I think I knew what I was doing there:

This filter right now is only geared up to catch two ranges which apply
to Farsi and Arabic. I find the wider Arabic script scene quite
infuriatingly complicated and struggle also to get full coverage in my
fonts, despite installing everything I can get. So, Central Asian
ranges, Urdu etc are left out. I guess it is a matter of slowly adding
what becomes relevant.

But then I thought the filter alone is not good enough, it needs to get
integrated into the general source and into build environments etc.

So I grepped the source for all mentions of hebrewpoints (to catch the
files) and HebrewPoints (to catch the classes etc) and inserted the same
for arabicpoints there, where it seemed to apply

I was not sure how much of all this is automatically created.

Patch attached

Peter