[sword-devel] summary

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:54:47 MST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>> In an earlier posting I noted that without the ability to get the
>> source it can be very difficult to tell where the problem originated.
>> Most of our conf's don't give good enough links to the material. IMHO,
>> we should give the web page on which the material can be found, if not
>> the exact link from which the material is obtained.
>
> The TextSource field was designed to indicate where a text came from,
> not necessarily where it may still be obtained. It's reasonable to
> change it when a link changes to something unacceptable, but if a link
> simply goes dead and isn't moved, we obviously shouldn't be changing the
> TextSource to another (similar) source. People who need access to source
> texts that have since been taken offline can use the Internet Archive.

Then perhaps an additional config entry that can point them to the
current location of the source (if the people/group/company/etc with
it has moved) or to the Internet Archives of it might be in order,
just for such a time as this.  Possibly add to it the time when the
source was obtained.  That way someone on the IA knows which
version/date to look for or can check the original source to see a new
version has been released since then?

--Greg