[sword-devel] Community dot CrossWire dot Org

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Sat Nov 29 05:33:24 MST 2008

Would there be room for a project to collaborate on creating some Greek
and Hebrew dictionaries under some form of Creative Commons license,
perhaps starting from Strongs and updating with more recent scholarship,
to provide freely-distributable content that works with SWORD and can be
translated freely into other languages? I know that's a bit far away
from papyri and such, but it could serve the global church.

Daniel

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> After having stated official current policies...
>
> We have been developing a new community framework which will allow teams
> to collaborate on a number of project types-- including some specialized
> levels of content creation.
>
> The idea is to have a community site hosting specialized tools to
> facilitate certain types of distributed collaboration projects.  A
> domain expert / scholar should be able to login, see which projects are
> active, see an overall status of a particular project and where there is
> need, and contribute as they have skills and time.  When they log in,
> they will see other volunteers currently online which are members of
> projects they have joined.  As they work, they will have the ability to
> chat in realtime with other co-workers.
>
> The goals are to build relationships and community among scholars, and
> to facilitate development of specialized datasets.
>
> Some examples of community projects:
>
> Interlinear tagging of Bibles, reusing the tools and experience we
> gained from the KJV2003 project,
>
> Image registry for ancient papyri-- collaborating with
> http://www.csntm.org/ and Münster,
>
> Transcriptions of ancient papyri,
>
> Translations of ancient transcriptions (including DDP, PHI7, etc.).
>
> Maintaining organizational SWORD module repositories, e.g. Wycliffe,
> UBS, etc.
>

> We would love to have help.  Please see and complain about the next
> email regarding technology.
>
> 	-Troy.

PMBX license 1502