[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Brian J. Dumont bdumont at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 27 10:58:08 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:
> I'm happy to post some examples.
>
> We have tutorials at:
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/OSIS_Bibles
> and
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/OSIS_Commentaries
>
> And some very poor documentation (my apologies) at:
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/TEI_Dictionaries
>
> As I presume you've read all of these, if you need further information,
> I need you to tell me WHAT you need.

It is a very reasonable request that we be specific about the examples
that we would like.  For me to start encoding my modules in OSIS, I
would like an example file of a genbook which includes:

    * basic formatting items: italics, sub/superscripts, etc.
    * heading tags
    * examples of special text: foreign text, verse/poetry, and editor's
      footnotes for example
    * tags to mark page breaks from the print editions
    * examples of links to Scripture
    * examples of internal links (links to other parts of the same genbook)
    * examples of external links (links to a different genbook or even
      commentary)
    * Is there an ability to link to page breaks from print editions?
      (for example, in a digitized index)
    * in comments, a simple list of supported tags

I think that if we had a solid example file, then we could also use that
example file as a basic test of functionality for the various front ends
and platforms.

Thanks
Brian