[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 27 08:36:59 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Quoting Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>:
>> It's not really a necessity that someone understand C++ well in order to
>> write a quick list of supported tags, based on the filter code. If the
>> code mentions 'lemma', presumably that indicates support for the lemma
>> attribute on <w>. If it mentions 'lg' or 'l', presumably it's doing
>> something to support those tags. And so forth.
>
> For non-programmers even thinking that they should download some
> source code, find files there and read them can be too much. My point
> in an earlier post was (tried to be) that module makers should not be
> forced to look into source code. The modules should be encoded based
> on the needs of the module makers, not on the needs of programmers
> (though the module code should certainly be valid and well
> standardised!).

That wasn't a recommendation that every module maker go read the source
code. Rather it was a suggestion that those module makers (or anyone
else for that matter) who want to help create improved documentation
could start by looking at the source code to learn the details and
distill them into some wiki pages.

This is an open source project. Rather than simply telling me what I
should do, people could take some initiative.

--Chris