[sword-devel] Next Release (was: Taming Wild Threads)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Nov 26 12:40:40 MST 2008

Good suggestion Karl.  Others sound like they would also like this.  May
I ask first for some feedback regarding current state of TRUNK?  I
believe we have a fairly optimized impl of the old functionality running
in the new paradigm of dyn versification.  We might be able to clean it
up by next week.  I currently understand there are two issues:

1) non-backward-compat change of removing VerseKey::books hardcoded
array.  We've talked about adding a SWORDVERSION define, but I just had
a 'doh' moment and realized we have: pkg-config --modversion sword

2) stability: we are missing bounds checks for calls into the new
VerseMgr, resulting in crashes if you, for example, ask for the max
chapter of a book which doesn't exist.  I think this is the main cause
for crashes, but it would be nice to get some feedback from the frontend
developers of how stable the current code base is.  After a few days of
hunting bugs and valgrinding, we can make a good decision if we should
release without dyn versification.

I would like to have a release soon, as well.  We have committed to a 6
month release cycle and are about 1 month late, I believe.

	-Troy.