[sword-devel] Chapter-centric browsing (was: iPhone frontend alpha screenshots)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Nov 25 16:52:17 MST 2008

Finally back from ETS/SBL and staying in the States for a while.  Hope
to devote quality/quantity time to SWORD stuff again starting in the
very near future.

a few comments on this thread:

Frontends are welcome to show context however they want.  The engine
doesn't favour chapter context-- as Ian has already mentioned.

All things considered, I like chapter context.  I know the arguments...
they aren't very good linguistic context containers.  Of course, I agree.

But practically speaking, as others have mentioned, consistent context
for a verse that is easily understood by users is valuable.  They should
know the breaks are false, and if not, they should learn cuz we're not
going to change the world for them.

I like the idea of scrolling past (or before) a chapter break in a
display window.

Anyway, my opinions aside.  If there is a simple mechanism we can
implement in the engine to facilitate frontend developers who wish to
support other boundaries, then we should accommodate.

I think something similar to:

module.setKey("jn.3.16");
module.setKey(module.getContextBegin());
SWKey contextEnd = module.getContextEnd();
do {
  cout << module.RenderText();
  module++;
} while (module.getKey() != contextEnd && !module.Error());

So, in conclusion, we would be proposing the addition of
getContextBegin() and getContextEnd() on SWModule, which would return
SWKey references in the module to where the author chose to break
context (paragraphs, etc.).

Comments?

	-Troy.