[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:24:39 MST 2008

> What really needs to be done, is to finalize how we are going to use
> osisRefs.
> I'd like to see modules being able to contain some mapping from osis ids to
> display names. I don't show the user Gen.2.2 in my application (or
> /Gen/2/2), why should I show them Ant.1.8.2 or (/Ant/1/8/2)?

While I agree that this should be done, what is a person supposed to
use in the meantime? I am working on an enhanced Easton module (well,
it's been put on hold due to the gnomesword stuff), and I want these
features:

1. Cross-references. Any word mentioned (except for some short,
trivial ones) should be linked to the appropriate entry. I am doing
this wikipedia style where only the first mention is linked.
2. Greek/Hebrew references. There are lots of mentions of the original
language words that I would like linked to the Greek/Hebrew
dictionaries.
3. Scripture references. Of course, this is supposed to work with OSIS.

So currently I can use thml and sword:// style links and this works in
gnomesword. If I use Osis cross-references, it won't work anywhere.
And I have no idea how long it will be until there exists a sword
version that will work (1 year, 2 years?)

I would like to mention as well that the documentation for creating
dictionaries is quite lacking. I would be glad to contribute to this,
but it would be nice to get this issue sorted out first.

To summarize, I'm not against OSIS, but the support isn't there for
what I'd like to do. The easy solution for me is to use thml and know
that at least one front-end will support it, and wait to generate OSIS
when that support is finished.

Matthew