[sword-devel] iPhone Frontend

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Nov 18 13:12:15 MST 2008

Ian Wagner wrote:

> I wish I had money for a lawyer too on this one. I have been looking
> around, reading the NDA and GPL and lots of websites, but I'm getting
> lots of conflicting information. The GPLv3 I THINK is out, but that
> shouldn't matter since SWORD is GPLv2. Obviously wordpress has
> released a GPL'd app and it was approved by Apple and Apple doesn't
> seem to be making any hubbub, but the FSF people might. The NDA seems
> to be ok with distributing code for released software, but my question
> is if the GPL will mess things up by requiring that the iPhone
> libraries that we link against be GPL licensed. That would obviously
> be a problem.

I am not sure whether anyone here remembers that KDE was once beelzebub
in the eyes of the FSF lot - because it used qt which at that time was
only available in a non-GPL form.

Later qt obviously changed and became available as GPL on Linux (but
remained proprietary closed only on Windows) and then finally Trolltech
allowed a GPL version of qt on Windows.

KDE was therefore considered as evilly conceived  by the FSF lot and
never really lost the suspicicion attached to it.

But crucially, while evil and in league with monopol-capitalism, KDE was
 legal. Building a GPL software on a non GPL platform is possible, legal
and  entirely ok (as long as the under unlerlying platform's licence is
ok with it), just that some people will not like it.

IANAL, but I am pretty convinced that the above is correct. If you are
really fussed, check out what a legal opinion would cost and come back
with this info to the list.

God bless you.

Peter