[sword-devel] installing Sword in Ubuntu 8.10

Jason Galyon jtgalyon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:38:32 MST 2008

Daniel Owens wrote:
> Karl,
>
> When I tried using ./autogen.sh and ./usrinst.sh I came up with lots
> of errors that I couldn't find solutions to, but just using
> ./configure worked.
>
> Daniel
>
> Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>> Daniel Owens <dhowens at pmbx.net> writes:
>>
>>> ./configure
>>> make
>>> sudo make install
>>>

>> Most of the time, configure by itself will assume /usr/local as a
>> prefix.  You should use autogen.sh and usrinst.sh for Sword
>> configuration and installation:
>>
>> ./autogen.sh
>> ./usrinst.sh
>>
>> Hack usrinst.sh ahead of time to change options as needed but note that
>> it includes --prefix=/usr.  Be wary of default selections that might not
>> suit you, e.g. libdir setting for 64-bit if you're 32-bit.

> --
> PMBX license 1502

On a related but lately ignored note, for a packager for any Linux
distro, what is the solution for the non conventional naming (versioning
really) of the library?

It is: libsword-1.5.11.so when it should be something like
libsword-1.5.11.so.1 or libsword-1.5.so.11 and then use a symlink for
the non versioned name like libsword.1.5.11.so or libsword.1.5.so
respectively.

Also note that libsword.so.1.5.11 would be excellent as well.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html#AEN46

Thanks,
Jason