[sword-devel] companion modules

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 02:12:14 MST 2008

An interesting example here is the ESV study bible.

If you have a look at http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Matthew+1, you
can see three different "streams" of commentary. The notes that have a
completely grey background are large sections, the notes with the heading
with a grey background are for smaller sections, while there are per-verse
(or a range of verses) notes as well. All of these can overlap. There is
also one note from the per-verse stream here (Matthew 1:2-6a) which overlaps
with another in the per-verse stream (Matthew 1:3). So to encode this well,
what you really need are at least 4 commentary modules here!

In addition to this, the print ESV study bible has diagrams and maps in the
notes section, which don't specifically refer to a range of verses. (BTW,
these in-context maps are really great - I'd love to get something like them
for BPBible)

So it looks like at least 5 modules (in addition to the ESV base text, which
I think it shares - including xrefs and notes) would be needed to do the job
properly.

Being able to have more than one entry for a commentary would be a good
thing.

BTW, Daniel, the continuous scrolling is something I too would like to see
(though especially in the Bible). The reasons I think it is not seen are:
1) It is possibly too much text to load at once for a whole chapter - if you
restrict it to just one chapter.
2) Making it load additional text when scrolling is not easy (for example,
you can't dynamically change the text in the wxHTML control BPBible uses)

An example of a bible which uses a genbook for the introduction is "The
Scriptures" from the Institute for Scripture Research (this module works in
BibleCS only). I'd have to say, though, that this seems to me a clumsy way
to handle it. It would be nice to be able to splice different module types
together in a better way...

God Bless,
Ben
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
Philippians 4:23 (ESV)