[sword-devel] Versification and german bible texts

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Nov 1 08:25:12 MST 2008

Once the code is done to register a versification system with a TreeKey,
I was thinking of having SWMgr, when it loads a GenBook with
KeyType=VerseKey register it with VerseMgr as a versification scheme
called the same as the module name.  This will get things working for
individual modules.

_______________

Then the next phase of development, which will start to really take
advantage of the core purpose of VerseMgr would be to develop a
specification where modules specify which common versification system
they use, and if a module provides an entire versification system, eg.,

[KJVgb]
ProvidesVersification=KJV

[LXXM]
ProvidesVersification=LXX

[SyriacNT]
Versification=LXX

(actually, I don't think Peshitta used LXX for translations, but this is
just a technical example)

Then we can work out some code logic similar to:
If a module ProvidesVersification, and the Versification is not yet
registered with VerseMgr, then SWMgr still registers module's TreeKey as
a versification system like described above, but uses the
ProvidesVersification entry as the versification name.

If a module specifies that it uses a versification which there is not
installed a module which provides, then SWMgr still registers module's
TreeKey as a versification system like described above, and still uses
the module name.

And finally, I think we need a line of code in SWModule::CreateKey (and
overriding versions) to set versification on VerseKey to the proper
system sorted out from the .conf and logic described above.

Thanks for making me do a thoughts dump on this one.  Comments?

	-Troy.