[sword-devel] SWORD 1.5.11 ISO

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 12:02:09 MST 2008

I've learned some thing in helping to prepare the ISO, regarding setup
on Linux.

For Linux there is a setup.sh program that kicks off a Loki installer,
driven by the files in the folder setup.data. It appears that the
installer tests to see if glib-2 is installed and if it is not, then
it tries to install it and use it.

In there, there is a file, setup.xml which tells the story of what the
installer tries to do: It will present a menu to give a choice to
install Cheatah, BibleTime and GnomeSword. It uses various
*base.tar.gz files in the root of the CD as part of the installation
and it uses statically linked binaries in bin/x86.

The point of this is to allow any user on Linux the easiest
opportunity to run BibleTime and GnomeSword (I think Cheatah is too
old to even be of any value, if it runs at all, and probably should be
removed) without installing, if available, from a distribution or
compiling it themselves.

So to update the CD to include, say GnomeSword, the following should
be done.
Put a zip or tar.gz of the source in SOURCES, e.g. gnomesword2-2.3.4-
src.tar.gz
Put a statically linked executable in bin/x86. This should be named
without a version number, e.g. gnomesword, not gnomesword2 or
gnomesword2-2.3.4. (If it must be named anything else, then setup.data/
setup.xml must be changed)
Update the appropriate *base.tar.gz file, but do not rename it. e.g.
gnomeswordbase.tar.gz. These files are unpacked into /usr. (If you
need them to be rooted otherwise, setup.data/setup.xml must be changed)

The Loki installer also allows one to run the linux installmgr. This
requires the null.tar.gz file that is in the root of the CD. Running
the installmgr, if I understand correctly, will initialize the CD as a
local install source.

I would like to know if any of this works. The real test would be to
setup.sh to run installmgr and gnomesword on a kde system without
gnome installed and to run installmgr and bibletime on a gnome system
without kde. And then again with the appropriate infrastructure. It
would also be interesting to run cheatah.

If people would give it all a test run on their distribution and
report back their experiences, that would be great.

In Him,
	DM