[sword-devel] Bible Software Review

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Thu May 1 20:07:59 MST 2008

 Hi,

Just to add some extra things to Jon's response to Chris' observations

> I like the use of a treeview for module selection. But, it's a real pain
> to have all modules in one control, in one location. If I'm reading a
> commentary, I don't want to have to move my mouse all the way to the
> other side of the screen to switch to a different commentary. But I
> really do abhor the tabbed  module selection that you find in BibleCS,
> e-Sword, and too many other programs. The treeview is not as nice for
> chapter selection, and apparently there's no way to select a commentary
> verse other than #1 without typing in the box.

Yes, the module tree can be a bit of a pain. I'm thinking of putting a
dropdown on the commentary toolbar to allow the user to set the version.
With the treeview, I could add in each verse for the commentary, as it has a
finer granularity than the Bible. In some ways, what would be nice would be
a widget like vista's explorer address bar. This lets you enter text, as
well as making it easy to navigate to other folders within a parent folder.

> No ICU transliteration. No GenBooks. No support for TEI. No support for
> #....|-style references in GBF modules. No special handling of daily
> devotionals or glossaries.
>
> Apparently there's no support to toggling anything but cross-refs,
> footnotes, and headings. (I can't find any way to display Strong's
> numbers, morphology, words of Christ in red (doesn't appear to render
> quotation marks either), textual variants, etc.)

I don't currently build the SWIG bindings with ICU support. If I did, I
think the transliteration options would magically appear.
TEI should be supported by the SWORD engine, so if BPBible can't do it, it
is presumably the fault of SWORD (no guarantees, though...)
I've never tried using TEI, however. What are the best modules to test it
on?

What support should there be for #...| references? How are they meant to
work? As a side note, I haven't done any special GBF support,

Strong's numbers, morphology, ... should be in the Options menu along with
xrefs, footnotes and headings.

Also, BPBible 0.2 had a bug which meant that the selecting a passage in a
genbook didn't do anything. This is fixed in SVN, and will be in the next
release. The only other way to navigate them is to use F5 and F8 to go to
the previous and next passages.

God Bless,
Ben
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)