[sword-devel] Slightly Off-topic: Bible verse memorisation project

Luke Plant L.Plant.98 at cantab.net
Fri Mar 28 20:44:19 MST 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 22:31:11 Greg Hellings wrote:

> >  I'm planning on adding a system for the user to simply tick off
> > verses that have been learnt, using AJAX to store it on the
> > server -- that should also help in giving a sense of progress.
>
> Of course you'd have to store lots of data for the user, etc
> including registration information, etc.  You might do better to
> store it in a cookie on the client side, and restore from the local
> data.

I had though of that, but:
 1) you've only 4k, and you might use it all up
 2) if people lose the cookies (easy to do, as people don't make any
    effort to keep them), then all the records are gone.  I'm
    intending to use a simple database, probably sqlite, server side.

> As for AJAX frameworks, I've had good luck with using the
> GWT (Google Web Toolkit) for doing heavy-lifting on the client
> side.  Google even claims there is a client-side portion of the
> library that handles XML parsing, etc.  You can do some impressive
> things with it, and it's designed to integrate with a Java/Servlet
> back end

Then I'd have to write it in Java.  Why would I want to do that? :-)
Seriously, I'm using something a lot more lightweight and easier to
set up -- static HTML (as opposed to server generated), MochiKit for
Javascript, JSON for transport, Python CGI with web.py on the
backend.

Regards,

Luke

--
Life is complex. It has both real and imaginary components.

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/