[sword-devel] CDEarth GPL violation

Don Bedsole dbedsole at carolina.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 07:18:22 MST 2008

Hi,
I'm not subscribed to the list, but I do visit the archive from time to
time to see what's going on with the project.

I noticed this thread about a possible GPL violation by the CDEarth people.

This morning as I was reading GrokLaw, I saw this link to a paper by the
Software Freedom Law Center. The title of the paper is "Shareware
Distribution of FOSS Software".

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/shareware.html

I thought it might be a helpful source of information for you as you
deliberate on your course of action.

I am not a lawyer and am not intending to give legal advice, but see
what you think about Section 2.4, "License Fees" particularly as it
pertains to distributors who require payment to allow continued use of
the software. Please read the footnotes too.

Anyway this paper might be a handy source of information to keep for any
future issues.

By the way, as long as I'm making a post, thanks for what all of you are
doing to make Free Software available freely.

Don