[sword-devel] CDEarth GPL violation

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Thu Mar 27 00:41:10 MST 2008

Am 27.03.2008 um 07:03 schrieb Chris Little:

> Steve Dibb wrote:

>> Or, you could ask them to correct the errors, and continue letting
>> them
>> do the legwork of marketing and getting Sword out to more people.
>> I'd
>> also recommend giving them a hand and getting them most recent
>> versions
>> to distribute, they would probably appreciate a hand.
>
> We're not in the habit of assisting people to defraud our users. These
> people are deliberately trying to hide the source of the works they
> distribute, committing a number of acts of fraud in the process,
> scamming people who don't know any better, spamming websites, and
> creating huge ill-will in the process. We aren't in the habit of
> helping
> others make money off of our work without having contributed
> anything at
> all to our efforts. And the mere suggestion that we would align
> ourselves with a company that is committing these kinds of illegal and
> immoral acts is just ludicrous.

Actually I really don't undersatand why these people do not come here
and tell us what they want to do. To package our software and
distrubute it for some money. There would be no problem and we could
support that if done in the right way.

Maybe they are not aware of what needs to be done according to GPL.
Some people hear "Open Source" and think they can do whatever they
want with it.

Manfred