[sword-devel] English Bible Versions

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 26 23:49:44 MST 2008

I think certain revisions are significant enough to be identified
separately. Examples that come to mind include the KJV 1611 vs. KJV 1769
or the original NASB vs. the NASB 1995 Update.

The Caedmon manuscript should really be labeled MS Junius 11 or Codex
Junius 11 or such. No one seriously calls it the Caedmon manuscript
anymore, since one of the few definite facts about its authors is that
none of them were Caedmon. It's also not clear that it's a translation
of the Vulgate. First--it's not a translation, but a paraphrase into
heroic Germanic alliterative verse. Second--it's got a lot of
non-Biblical material. The only certain source document was Vatican MS
Palatinus Latinus 1447, an Old Saxon alliterative verse fragment of
Genesis. The whole text is quite extensive (much more than a few
verses), with the first poem (Genesis) extending for about 3 thousand
lines. (I did a translation & analysis of a couple hundred lines of this
MS in my Old English course.)

Also, I didn't spot one of my favorite new translations:
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Genesis_1 -- just an
oversight, I'm sure. ;)

--Chris