[sword-devel] Luther1545

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 05:33:04 MST 2008

To summarize what I have heard on the thread:
While the printer may have used leading 'V' for 'U' (and 'v' for 'u'),
the reader would have known that those were 'U' and 'u' respectively.
Likewise for i and j.

IMHO, if it is of value to retain the visual representation of the
original, then the "long s" (U+17F) should also be used. In looking at
Genesis 1 (from Wolfgang's link), it appears to follow these rules:
Leading lower case 's'
medial 's'
terminal 'ss' but not terminal 's'

IMHO, If it does the one then it should do the other. Should we filter
the text to do this and submit it back to the keeper of the text, so
that we can then include it as such in our repository?

Chris, as to you suggestion of using transliteration: If the text is
regular in its usage, then, very likely, it could be possible to
transliterate a "modern" german text into this old form. Not sure of
the other way. That looks lossy. (I.e. when would one know that V, v,
J, j are U, u, I, i?)

As to keeping our modules consistent with the source. I don't think
this is a proper methodology. I think we should offer correct texts.
If we can do this by working with the keeper of the source, that's
great. But there may not be an active or responsive keeper. In that
case, I think we should take a different approach.

I think that we should model the ideals of Linux's RPM. There they
take  a stored copy of pristine source and potentially apply patches
before building the release artifact. The pristine source, the
patches, any necessary scripts and any other build inputs are stored
in an SRPM (source RPM). It is by executing rpmbuild against the SRPM
that the RPM is built.

In our case, this would model: store a copy of the pristine source,
separate patches to the source, and all scripts needed to construct
the module. As good community members, we would offer back to the
keeper, the changes that we applied.

In Him,
	DM