[sword-devel] Global search

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Mon Jun 9 18:32:54 MST 2008

Karl's idea of configurable extensibility is exactly right, and DM's
idea below is one great way to do it. I think putting functionality at
the fingertips of the user is all about the menu that pops up with a
right click. For example, GS's approach to dictionaries is excellent in
that the user doesn't have to select the desired dictionary from the
module tree before right-clicking on a word to look up a definition.
Even better would be the option to define default dictionaries for each
language, not just for Strongs.

Another option would be the sidebar idea DM mentioned, using a tree
structure. This could be called up with a specific menu/icon option.
Inspired by a proprietary program, I like the idea of the user having
the option to utilize a Passage Study Assistant and a Word Study
Assistant. The idea of the Passage Study Assistant is you enter a
passage (a verse or a set of verses), and the results include perhaps a
parallel Bible display of versions you have selected in some options
menu, a list of all the Greek or Hebrew words in that passage (that
would need to be displayed a verse at a time, perhaps using a tree
structure in the sidebar) which would give access to dictionaries, a set
of links to commentaries that comment on that passage, and a set of
links to places where cross-references to that passage show up in
commentaries and genbooks. A Word Study Assistant would be more focused
on a search based on a word with links to dictionaries and search
results in the Bible. That way the user can opt for a more extensive
study assistant if that is what he or she wants or can just do a simple
search if that's all that is desired.

Daniel

DM Smith wrote:
> The other thought I had, was to have a robust context menu such that if
> the user were to right click within a verse or on a selection of verses,
> the would get neat things they can do with that, such as:
> Find a short prioritized list of similar verses found by searching the
> lucene index for the words/Strong's numbers in these verses.
> Find all entries in all works that have a cross reference that includes
> these verses.
> Find all verses in this work that have a cross reference to this verse.
> Obviously, these would have to be shortened a little bit. :)
>
> In Him,
>     DM

PMBX license 1502