[sword-devel] Global search

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Jun 9 09:01:32 MST 2008

DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> writes:
> I have all modules installed, too. (I don't know how you can stand all
> the tabs!)

In the Windows UI, one can right-click the tab set to bring up a picker
to decide which modules should show in the tabs.  E.g. in the Bible
tabs, I allow only English, Greek, Hebrew modules to show.  That said, I
don't use Windows much, and GS doesn't have this problem -- mod.lists
are trees opened only on demand.

> 1) Searching should be restricted to targeted material. For example,
>    Don't search German Bibles for English words. An English search
> should be targeted to English publications.

How is the UI to know that what you've typed is English or German?

>    Don't search commentaries, dictionaries and other non-bibles when
> someone is trying to find verses.

How is the UI to know you're searching for verses?
Why should commentaries be excluded from verse-oriented searches?

>    Don't search non-dictionaries when doing word lookup.

I can think of quite a few examples of commentary content that would
serve better than most dictionaries when doing word lookup.

> 2) Do what the user asks and expects, but offer them more.

> I think we should allow users the ability to tailor the applications
> to enhance their study path. One of my grips about software in general
> is that software is inflexible, requiring me to adapt to it.

I worry about overwhelming the user in an ocean when he wants a cupful.
I think adding configurable extensibility would be great.  But I think
blindly adding to what is sought is a sure recipe for annoyance, and is
a worse form of being inflexible.