[sword-devel] EarlyFathers Genbook and the ability to search genbooks

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 20:05:35 MST 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2008, at 10:27 PM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>
>> OT: have you
>> ever wanted to find a verse, but been unable to find the right words
>> to type for the particular version you are using - having synonym
>> suggestion using something like wordnet is another thing that might be
>> worth looking at
>
> Another good idea! Especially for theological synonyms and related
> topics (e.g. blood and sacrifice)
>
> By the way, did you know that Lucene allows for "fuzzy" searches?
>
> Try searching for:
> melchesidec~
>
> The tilde on the end indicates to the lucene search engine to do a
> fuzzy approximation of the word. Not exactly sure what algorithm it
> uses, but it will find things that you don't know how to spell.

I'm thinking more of searching for synonyms rather than similar
spellings.  I'm not actually sure that wordnet would have a sufficient
list of theological synonyms, and it is more likely to be useful for
the abundance of English Bibles with different word usage than for
other modules, but with the right indexing structure it would
certainly be possible to say which of the synonyms for a word (if any)
are actually in a particular module.

Jon