[sword-devel] Burmese rendering, was Portable Bible prototype

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 08:30:00 MST 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Chris Little wrote:

> Regarding the possibility of complex script rendering in BD, there
> was a
> brief discussion of complex scripts in Java on graphite-devel a week
> ago:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=OF488F087E.E5E55533-ON86257456.004F079E-86257456.00506903%40notes.sil.org&forum_name=silgraphite-devel
>
> The suggested best course of action for today is to use the Eclipse
> SWT
> framework since it will use pango on linux & uniscribe on windows.

Chris,

Thanks for the info!

Swing's and AWT's rendering leaves lot to be desired. The problems I
am seeing include improper combining of unicode characters and bad
implementation of BiDi text (which affects rendering of verse numbers
in Farsi).

Right now our plan is:
1) Release 1.0.8 (any day now)
2) Add Bookmarks, Annotations and Personal Commentary for 1.1.
3) Re-write BD in SWT for 2.0.

Your info gives all the more reason to hurry.

DM