[sword-devel] Some new modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Jun 7 02:44:01 MST 2008

Daniel Glassey wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>:
>> Activity of the last couple weeks, at ftp.kleinpaste.org in /pub/sword:
>>
>> 3. EarlyFathers, from public domain content, distributed as freeware in
>>   WinHelp format; a monstrous genbook collection (37 volumes when in
>>   print) of early church fathers' writings: Irenaeus, John of Chrysostom,
>>   Origen, Polycarp, Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Ignatius...everybody.
>
> Hiya Karl,
> I'm wondering, is the the v2 of the content that is those winhelp
> files? iirc there is a newer version (I don't know if it is fixes to
> the text or just new formatting) at http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html
> which has ThML.

The choice of a CHM file over CCEL's ThML surprises me a bit. I don't
know whether the CHM uses CCEL's or New Advent's version of the Early
Church Fathers, but the former is most probably the best source around
since it came from Logos (who proofread it) and it has since been
proofread by CCEL volunteers. And it's almost certainly got richer
markup in ThML compared to the CHM.

> btw you may like to split the module into one module per volume since
> it is that big!

What REALLY needs to happen is we need to write the compressed correlate
to RawGenBook: zGenBook. But I'm not volunteering. :)

But in the near term, where we're limited to RawGenBook, in addition to
37 modules of a single volume each, you could split it up as 3 modules
(Ante-Nicene Fathers, Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers Series 1, and Nicene
& Post-Nicene Fathers Series 2), which is how the print edition is
divided up--corresponding to the first 9, the next 14, and the final 14
volumes respectively.

--Chris