[sword-devel] Sword enhancement proposal [was: HTML filter cross references link]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 30 02:17:42 MST 2008

>> What don't you like about how HTMLHREF display?  Is it the superscripted
>> 'x'?  Could we put it in a <span class="footnote_marker"> allowing you
>> to write a CSS rule to display or hide as you would like?
>
> What I have in mind is that all additional information in the HTML is
> hidden. It actually could be plain text then.
> Some information should be shown while moving the mouse over the words
> in the HTML view or somewhere in another floating information window.
> That would mean making the word a link that has normal display
> attributes. But the data of the link might be something individual.
> I don't kknow at the moment if this can be done by adding a marker and
> using CSS. Actually I didn't thought about using CSS.

Have a look at SWORDWeb (click on any word in the text):

http://crosswire.org/study/passagestudy.jsp

This is done by hiding the looking information into
getEntryAttributes().  If you change lookup.cpp back to WEBIF output,
you can see how it is done.  It obviously doesn't have to operate with
onclick, but could be on a hover over action.  I think most of the other
frontends do the similar things while moving the mouse over words.

I think with footnotes though, it is a little different.  The user
doesn't really know where a footnote is, so there should be some marker
in the text which lets them know that further information is available
here.  And obviously there should be a way to turn these things on and off.

Is this helpful, or have I not understood what you desire to do?

	-Troy.

PS.  You are very welcome to contribute to the engine code!  In fact, my
hope is that most of the work currently done in the frontends, which
isn't UI specific might merge and be added as a feature in the engine.